[600MRG] KL7AJ QST article

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 12 15:33:27 CDT 2014

Several years ago it was explained to me that as an ARRL Life Member of more
than 50 years I was entitled to go to the mail box to receive my QST with
the honor of being alone.   Thus I would receive my magazine last.   My
April issue has not yet appeared yet the topic is of some considerable
interest to me.   I take a lot of pleasure, as I think do most 600 meter
experimental folks, in building things.   This experiment certainly gives us
great opportunity to do that!

Of course we have to have low pass filters to get rid of the broadcast band
images and a preamp is certainly good.   And the "Ultimate 3" kit sits here
patiently waiting for me to begin construction after I recover from the
Wisconsin Winter.

But sometimes I think that people might never have had the pleasure of
operating a Software Defined Receiver where you can, for example, listen to
CW with a filter that can easily move from 3 kHz to ten hertz instantly with
no effort!  Yes, you will have to build an "up-converter" but that's nothing
but more fun.   During a recent CW contest weekend when I could watch a band
with over 160 frequencies in operation I tuned to those stations with no QRM
and virtually none of the "ringing" one might expect!  Just pure CW with a
"black" background. Wonderful!

Just another exciting thing to try on ham radio.

73

Lee   K9WRU