[600MRG] Modified Stoddart loop

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Mar 11 19:42:02 CDT 2014

OK. Looks like I have it figured out: the BNC connector has a 170pfd
capacitor which connects to the loop internally. I am not sure where, but
it really doesn't matter at the moment. I suspect it is to one side or
the other of the twin-ax connector. I am going to pull the BNC fitting to
see what's in there.

The twin-ax still connects as it did originally to the loop.

The loop inductance is 500 uH, apparently shunted by a 200 pfd capcitor.

According to my calculations, that means the loop is resonant at
approximately 500 KHz.

So, in order to use it for higher frequencies, I am going to have to open
it up and remove the 200 pfd capacitor.

Then I would need the following parallel caps to resonate on the various
ham bands.

1.8 MHz 15.636 pfd
3.6 MHz   4.0 pfd
7.0 MHz   1 pfd
14.0 MHz  0.26 pfd

Rats! I guess I better make my own shielded loop.

Hmmm....I wonder where the 6" Stoddart loop resonates?

Ken W7EKB