[600MRG] A better explanation of the need for emcomm fallback modes.

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Thu Mar 6 10:42:14 CST 2014

Steve,

I'm certain CW will be acceptable if you find capable hams to
operate.  Most of the CERT folks who are getting ham licenses will not know CW.

Unless you are ready to work with your local emergency services and
make prior arrangements and take the training so you can fit in as
effective member of the response, you will find them rejecting your
offer of assistance.

So your alternative is to set up totally independent disaster relief
by yourself.  Good luck!

The days of showing up with a HT and a mobile radio and stating "I am
a ham" are over.  You need Homeland Security ID to get past the Nat'l
Guardman holding the M16.  I'm not spouting guesswork on this....this
IS what it WAS during the Exxon Valdez event.  The fact I had Alyeska
Pipeline photo ID got me thru security and sometimes not without
prior contact that I was coming to a facility so I was on the entry list.

I was one of about 5-6 contractor employees that was allowed to drive
past the gate at the pipeline facility onto the grounds to get to my
workplace.  EVERYONE else had to take a special shuttle bus after
security check (just like boarding an airplane).

What you say about ham radio's decentralized network is fine, but if
you do not join the response team, in advance, it will not
matter.  You can handle a few health&welfare messages for the public
on your own.  Any serious relief comms will be done by the response team.

I should say that a lot has been learned by officials from the
Katrina debacle.  A lot more portable systems are now available and
more satellite-based radios are included.  Complete stand-alone
cellular units can be slung into an area by helicopter.  Comm go-kits
are more available in emergency groups.  Most of this is deployable
in 18-72 hours so the role for hams is short duration.  Unlike the
1964 Alaska Earthquake that knocked out all other comms, including
military radio.  Hams are still recognized by officials up here for
that service to provide the only communications outside the state for
days.  But times have changed.  Now Alaska has over 250 earth
stations connecting us with the world in addition to the marine cables.

The ham radio role has changed.

73, Ed - KL7UW