[600MRG] "New" versus "Old"

Marshall Cross mcross at megawave.com
Thu Mar 6 10:06:34 CST 2014

And keep in mind that the same high altitude nuclear bursts that produce EMP also disturb the ionosphere and HF skywave paths to include trans-ionospheric satellite paths, especially UHF and L-band. So if we had EMP hardened 630 meter terminals then communication via the surfacewave ("groundwave") mode is still possible during the trans and post attack periods.  This was the raison d'etre for the USAF's Ground Wave Emergency Network (GWEN) in the 150 kHz band (R.I.P). One way to look at 630 meters might be as a last-ditch means that will work no matter what. Since I am nothing more than a cold, cold warrior, to me CW will always be the last-ditch waveform since it can be generated by just touching two wires together. Marshall, W1HK, #41