[600MRG] HF-MF band planning

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 09:37:19 CST 2014

On 03/03/2014 10:27 PM, Jim Miller wrote:
> JT65 and the rest of the JT modes are FSK and inherently don't need SSB.
> They can of course be generated that way and poorly at times.
>
> PSK31 requires a linear that you'd find in an SSB rig.
>
> jim ab3cv

Hi Jim,

Thanks for pointing that out. You have helped me decide which digital
mode(s) to try to implement here. Whatever I do will be one for QSO
modes. AND will include CW. I saw comments about reserving the whole new
band for WSPR and other slow motion modes that we can't even hear. One
argument was emergencies. My own impression of those are that an
emergency will already have played out to it's conclusion before any
real communication could be completed. The population of hams using
those modes is small compared to the pool of hams available and there
may not be enough surviving hams in an affected area to even initiate
emergency traffic on those modes.

In past posts I have made light of WSPR and the other slow motion modes
(some of which require an internet connection!) and especially frequency
control down into the fractional milliHertz tolerances. I applaud the
hams who invest time, effort, and money chasing that but I ain't going
there. With a 7 kc band I AM chasing TCXOs with *NO* free running VFOs.
But I am planning to use more effective, lightning fast CW at maybe 15
WPM <evil grin>. Use of a waterfall display should help us sort out
where the openings are and where we would just be QRM.

73,

Bill  KU8H