[600MRG] WH2XGP rundown

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Tue Jun 24 22:02:56 CDT 2014

FYI all, in response to John's request:

Using a homebrew transverter that I had 99% complete when I realized the
ARRL had no real interest in getting us an amateur allocation. Last week
I took it out of storage, dusted it off and got it running again.

It's 100 watts linear and built to interface with my IC-706 mk2 with
3.475 MHz IF. It runs WSPR with a laptop and is completely independent
of the regular station. There is still work to be done and it may never
get completed as I am already designing a bigger amp to run my full 20
watts ERP allowed.

The TX antenna is 34.5 feet to the tip with a loading coil at 23.5 feet
and a top wire that runs up to one of my towers then down a bit to
resonate with the coil I have in place. The ATU has relays so that I can
operate over the range of 470-480 with low SWR. EZNEC claims -13 dBi
gain after ground loss compensation. Ground system is 16 x 25 foot
radials. This is a ground mount left over from an old 30 meter antenna
project.

The RX antenna is presently my HI-Z phased array. It's the only RX
antenna up at the moment that works at all with the neighbors pump
running. Even so it's presently crippled because I forgot to implement
the TX antenna "de-tune on RX" control line in the transverter. So with
the TX antenna connected, my RX in down another 3-6 dB at the moment.
Hope to get that fixed in the next day or so.

At some point, I hope to get photos and more detail posted on my web page.

73,

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP
DN07dg - central WA
http://w7iuv.com