[600MRG] ARRL Field day is next weekend so....

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 20 11:22:18 CDT 2014

Hey Guys,

Last year during ARRL Field Day I ran a CW message every 15 minutes from my home station.  I had intended on sending the ARRL FD message that I had copied the night before on HF CW but when the league found out, they got twisted.. Instead I sent a generic message, notified a number of clubs around the state and surrounding areas in addition to posting here and the response was overwhelming.  The signal was heard all over the region and copied by quite a number of clubs using whatever they had setup at their sites.  Best visual reception report was from Neil, WG2XSV/W0YSE up in SLC, UT.  This turned out to be a really good outreach opportunity.

I am thinking about doing this again, possibly running multiple messages using FLdigi over the weekend and I've even considered sending certificates to those that demonstrate reception in some capacity of X number of the messages... That is getting quite elaborate and still a work I progress.  Stand by for news.

I wanted to mention this so you might keep this opportunity in the back of your mind if you are operating somewhere and if you are an active part 5 station, consider running your station, if possible (safety first!), so that guys running field day operations might get involved in providing reception reports.  Summer time conditions or not, its a really great opportunity since you have radios, antennas and warm bodies in one place at the same time.

73 and I will send more details as this year's operation develops.

John KB5NJD/WG2XIQ