[600MRG] Special Event

Frederick Raab fraab at gmrr.biz
Sun Jul 20 17:46:58 CDT 2014

July 20, 2014

Gentlemen:

     The response was positive, so let's plan on
holding the special event Oct. 31 - Nov. 2.  The
preliminary announcement is below.  I am sending
it to ARRL with the hopes we can get it into QST
just before the event.

73, Fritz, W1FR,
Coordinator, ARRL 500-kHz Experiment

Frederick H. (Fritz) Raab, Ph.D.
GREEN MOUNTAIN RADIO RESEARCH COMPANY
77 Vermont Avenue, Fort Ethan Allen
Colchester, Vermont 05446  USA
Tel./Fax.:  +1 (802) 655-9670  Home:  +1 (802) 862-0997
E-mail:  f.raab at ieee.org
Alt:  w1fr at arrl.net
Web:  www.gmrr.biz
SPECIAL EVENT - 630/600 METERS

     The 630/600-meter experimental operators will be conducting
a special event during the weekend of Oct 31 - Nov 1 -
Nov. 2.  This event marks the 106th anniversary of the
Berlin Treaty that created the international distress
frequency at 500 kHz.

     This will be a CW event and the main activities will be

-  Some stations will run beacons with special anniversary
   messages, perhaps followed by special QSLs.

-  Other stations will simulation maritime communication.
   They will call CQ on a designated calling frequency and
   then QSY to complete the QSO.  Silent periods will
   be observed.

-  The frequency bands are
   465 to 480 kHz and
   495 to 510 kHz.
   Different licensees have different frequency authorizations

-  The designated calling frequencies are
   475 kHz for the lower band
   500 kHz for the upper band.

-  This may be the last such event with operations on
   500 kHz itself.  This band is not being included
   in new experimental licenses as it is supposedly
   reserved for a new maritime-data service.