[600MRG] MFJ-269CM

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 10 18:10:33 CDT 2014

Yeah environment/location definitely plays a huge role in its performance.  Last week while rebuilding and improving my antenna system here I had the good fortune to have access to the Rig Expert AA-600 because my modified MFJ 269B was in need of replacement detector diodes AGAIN!  The AA-600 did a great job although I do prefer the freq select knob on the MFJ to the arrow keys on the Rig Expert but I was pleased that the numbers on the AA-600 were "in the ball park" for the MFJ and both agreed with the scope match.  I'm sure the limited BW and high Q of the antenna system helps the ability to reject those out of band AM's.

Seriously, I can't imagine ever doing any development without one of these boxes.  It would be total guess work.  even trying to use the scope match alone seems like it would be a nightmare.

When I setup my previous system, I had access to a power-AIM, which was incredible.  It is reported to work without problems in close proximity to a 50kw BC and I suppose that is why it costs what it costs..

The price variation from the website to QST is interesting.  One of the things I note is that if the  $399 price is the real deal, it probably makes sense to save your pennies a little longer and just get the Rig Expert.  I'm very please with my original MFJ  but the Rig Expert is in a completely different class for sure...

73!

john XIQ