[600MRG] small antenna project/U3 experiment continues

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 29 11:18:00 CST 2014

Good Morning,

I am doing some initial testing of my next small/compromised antenna that I will run today until maybe friday or saturday, depending on the upcoming wx using WSPR2 with 474.2 dial freq.  Carrier freq is currently 475.663 but I may revise that as the band begins to get crowded later.

I have just installed and tuned a telescoping, fiberglass fishing pole about 15 feet tall coiled with approximately 33 long, loose, and tapering turns over the same questionable radial field that I used for the 102" whip project.  Loading is accomplished with the same bucket vario I have been using as well as a smaller series coil with a significantly reduced number of turns compared to what was used with the 102" whip experiment.  I will work out the details of just how much inductance is present shortly.

I'm currently running 50 watts into the coax and the system seems happy - no corona  or buzz from the feed point that I can detect and the signal seems clean.  I am currently listing the ERP as 10mW but I am still working on that and admit that until I work up some real numbers its going to hard to know for sure.  I've not worked much with helically wound, distributed antennas so there is a little guess work at the moment.

I have received near minimum WSPR2 reports from W0GX in North Central OK and KF5JIA near OKC, not too far from WG2XXM... Distance is around 200-250 miles for these ground wave reports.

I'm looking forward to seeing what develops tonight.  I have to believe that if conditions cooperate this system will function at least as well as the 102" whip and hopefully significantly better, but we will see what comes out in the end.

Reports are very much appreciated and helpful!

73,

John WG2XIQ/KB5NJD