[600MRG] Overnight Test

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Sun Jan 26 09:38:35 CST 2014

Ken,
You were the hot WSPR signal here throughout the night. At times your S/N was in the + range at my QTH. I also ran the new setup with 10 MHz IF on my K3 and I see from Claude's reports that my frequency was within 1 Hz throughout the night. That is a first for me! My ham station is in the loft of the garage. The only heat source up here is a wood burning stove and the temperatures ranges from the mid 40s to the mid 60s. The oscillators vary by tens of Hz without the GPS disciplined reference. Not a problem on CW, but it was annoying on WSPR.

I saw some discussions about the band pass filter tuning on 10 MHz. I didn't see any de-tuning effects with my transverter but I am using the general coverage option on my K3. Maybe that provides a flatter response throughout the 10.0 to 10.5 MHz IF. At any rate, the signal levels and background noise levels match what I see using the 7 MHz IF. By the way, I don't have any gain stages between the antenna and the IF port on my transverter. The only item that can effect gain flatness is the low pass filter at the RF input.

73
Mike
AI8Z
WD2XSH/12