[600MRG] K3 Owners

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Sat Jan 25 21:24:19 CST 2014

Ken,
I installed the external reference board in my K3 this week and I had similar a similar exchange with Wayne concerning the possibility of the 10 MHz IF. Our inquiries paid off; I got the firmware update from him earlier today. This afternoon I replaced the LO in my transverter with the 10 MHz reference that I also use into the K3. I have the new transverter setup running on WSPR tonight and presto, no frequency drift. I'll leave it running through the night and decreasing temperatures in the shack to be certain, but it looks like the modification was a complete success!

Wayne was concerned about loss of gain at the upper end of the 10 MHz IF segment but I am not seeing any difference in signal levels compared to the setup with the 7 MHz LO and IF. It doesn't look like I'll need to tweak the tuning adjustments in the K3 that he suggested might be needed.

73
Mike
AI8Z
WD2XSH/12