[600MRG] WG2XIQ U3 Experiment - loading a 102" pipe on 630m

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 23 07:07:46 CST 2014

So last night's performance was not unexpected.  Spots from the usual ground wave stations in OK did not begin until near dark which was consistent with other systems tested with very low ERP.  WG2XXM held an early monopoly  with very consistent and wide ranging spots - one cycle exhibiting near limits of WSP2 followed close by with a cycle in the low -20's.  K5UV had several very consistent periods showing similar swings.  There were a number of spots from KF5JIA.  All of these stations are roughly 200 miles away.

The cookie goes to WG2XJM for having some pretty impressive skywave reports early on, for a total of 24 reports over night, and best at -22.

Overall consistency was low over the paths received with respect to the prescribed -24 lower limit that I set at the start.  While this antenna was not a good choice over long range, I would like to see how it performs over the short haul - 50-100 miles out.  Its my hope that AA5AM will have a moment to submit a report during the day.

The wx has shifted significantly here so I may not get a chance to get out and make major adjustments today.  It may be that I simply increase power to the coax tonight and see where a consistent improvement occurs.  It may be that I can install a small tophat.  Ultimately some tests with helical windings would be helpful and I will look at that going forward.

Thanks to all that listened and/or reported.  I will leave this configuration running, wx permitting, through today and likely through tonight with some modification.

73,
John XIQ