[600MRG] WG2XIQ U3 Experiment - loading a 102" pipe on 630m

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 22 16:31:00 CST 2014

Ed,

Not a crazy idea at all.  I've seen a number of 160m mobiles with tall coils wound  on 10 inch forms plus a helical whip.. I guess they work.  I've used a helically wound fishing pole on 80m for fox hunting with my local club and it seems ok.

I may work on a helical system after getting some baseline data tonight with the straight whip (really 1" aluminium "antenna" pipe).  This was born out of a passing comment with XKA yesterday on a similar topic.  I would be interested in seeing how quickly the system improves with some top loading.

Congrats the XXM Ken for hearing it twice on ground wave at the ragged edge of WSPR2 capabilities.  This might be a job for WSPR15.

SO far, the clear winner remains the 20m inverted vee with 25 feet of ladder line fed as a marconi.  Don't expect it to be unseated by the 102" antenna tonight but we will see.

73,

john XIQ