[600MRG] Something failed the TX or Amp used in my experiment

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 19 19:37:48 CST 2014

Last nights problem has returned and it was not power supply related as originally thought.

Shortly after 0045z tonight, I noticed the signal got very weak while monitoring.  I visited the antenna site and found that the antenna match was now 0 ohms!  The amp was happy dumping power into the ground, however, which is encouraging given what I have planned next.  A sweep of the antenna showed no dip at all from 1700 to 100 kHz.

SO this might look like a failure in this phase of my experiment but if the antenna is mechanically sound (verifying that now), meaning that thermal changes in the antenna structure are having a minimal impact to the function of the antenna where it is intended to be operated, it seems to suggest that the environment and/or ground has changed pretty significantly, which we all know that it typically does and is most often seen when poor a poor radial system is presented.  That said, I did NOT see this type of shift last week using the 20m inverted vee as a marconi over a poor radial system.  Temperatures and wx have changed very little.   The match during the first trial was rock solid all night.

Something else to consider on the next phase of my wild ride to insanity...

I'm running straight U3 tonight from the "real" antenna at home tonight, around 10 mW ERP...

73,

John XIQ