[600MRG] 630-meter ground wave

Frederick Raab fhraab at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 19:28:26 CST 2014

January 6, 2014

Gentlemen:

     The possibility of reliable regional communications
via ground wave is one of the justifications for a new
band at 630 meters.  630 meters is just-about optimum
for ground-wave given realistic amateur antennas.  There
is a discussion about this in my 2007 "QEX" article and
some of the notes on the 500kc.com web site.

     With that in mind, we conducted several tests of
ground-wave comms.  This produced four notes which are
or soon will be posted on 500kc.com.

     As Ralph W0RPK noted, one of the transmit stations
was fully capable of portable, rapidly deployable
operation.

73, Fritz, W1FR,
Coordinator, ARRL 500-kHz Experiment

Frederick H. (Fritz) Raab, Ph.D.
GREEN MOUNTAIN RADIO RESEARCH COMPANY
77 Vermont Avenue, Fort Ethan Allen
Colchester, Vermont 05446  USA
Tel./Fax.:  +1 (802) 655-9670  Home:  +1 (802) 862-0997
E-mail:  f.raab at ieee.org
Alt:  w1fr at arrl.net
Web:  www.gmrr.biz