[600MRG] Em Con with 630m - Mountain "propagation"

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Jan 6 18:49:01 CST 2014

At 12:16 PM 1/6/2014, Laurence KL7 L wrote:
>Ed/Ken = there is a radio station in Homer Alaska  KGTL at 5Kw on
>620KHz which sits on the a piece of land fairly up but below a East
>/West Ridge and further "down" and screened partly from us up here
>North of Anchorage, but open to the Sea and bays to the South =
>fringe coverage is shown as Seward,  South Anchorage and just South
>of Kodiak over a Sea path but attenuation really increases on any
>increase of mountain range that intervenes pretty quickly.
>
>  If I drive in Anchorage from 50 miles North in Wasilla (about 160
> miles from the TX) I can listen to the oldies music (and Rush L in
> the mornings, god help me) but driving South towards the TX  and
> close in to the Chugach mountains the signal dissapears only to
> reappear further  as we move away from the mountains again.
>
>  Ive not seen knife edge at MF but thats not to say it doesnt exist
> -  For NDBs here in the Anchorage area there is a warning that
> going into the mountains at low levels can produce false bearing
> and of course weak signals. And looking at how XPQ behaves on
> ground wave I lose it pretty quickly moving North into the
> Talkeetnas again only to reappear when we have an wide open valley-
> so we do get shadowing.
>
>Case in part is the NDB  FA up on 510kHz to the North of me - given
>its a low power and particularly awful short top loaded Tee its ERP
>is low but I would expect to see it nightly if I was say in Okie at
>the same distance - but Ive not seen it at all this winter,
>though  the Iono gods havent smiled much. There are a number of
>(high)mountain ranges which Ed mentions nearby which means low angle
>stuff is cut and ground waves are obliterated/broken up..

When I began monitoring in 2010, I saw FA most nights fairly
strong.  But it is in the direction north up the long valley of the
Susitna River for me.  Mt Mckinley is about az=5 for me whereas
direct az to Fairbanks (BP64) is 19.7 degrees.  There is a well known
VHF shot between Anchorage and Fairbanks by forward scatter off the
mountain (about a 30-degree dogleg).  I have worked KL7EDK (BP64lv)
on 2m FM with both of us using four yagi arrays and my running 150w
over a 350mi path with the 18K Alaska Range in between.  Mckinley is
visible from Anchorage (sits nearly 21K).  Wasilla is blocked to the
north by the Talkeena Mountains so one must rely on knife-edge prop
in addition.

>I know theres a lot more...Ed those volcanic eruptions played havoc
>with my microwave links to the platforms in the Cook Inlet - :-)
>
>Laurence

Yeah, volcanic ash fertilizes my lawn and my sled dogs!  Mt. Redoubt
is about 50 mi from me and Mt. Spurr about the same.  Two more active
volcanoes are Mt. Illiamna and Mt. St. Augustine further south in the
10K Alaska Range that runs along the western shore of Cook Inlet.  I
live 2-miles from the eastern shore with average width of 30-50 mi.

Oh well so much for the geography lesson - sorry!

73, Ed