[600MRG] Ground Wave Propo

Claude Baker ac0zl at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 14:59:18 CST 2014

I spent a year on Easter Island in '68-'69 and regularly listened to KSFO in San Francisco, a distance of 4500 miles. KSFO is a 5 KW station at 560 KHz and provided a nice clear signal. The reception was such that I didn't hope to hear the station, I expected to hear it.

As a MARS operator, I had conversations on the ham bands from Russia, to Thailand, to Africa, to the Antacartic, to MacQuarie Island (SW of NZ) and of course the U.S. and South America.

Sitting on or in an ocean does wondrous things for propagation.

Claude Baker, AC0ZL