[600MRG] Em Con with 630m - Mountain "propagation"

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Jan 6 12:14:44 CST 2014

Gents: You might consider the phenomenon of what is sometimes called,
"knife edging" of propagation.

I remember reading a study on this wherein the signal levels at certain
distances from the tops of mountains or ridges were very significantly
stronger than both closer-to and further-from those "edges", and that there
were "zones" wherein this phenomenon was repeated.

As I remember it, the signals were refracted downward at various angles
due to the edge of the obstruction, somewhat the way light is refracted by a
sharp edge.

This may explain otherwise difficult-to-explain results.

Further testing is necessary.

Ken W7EKB