[600MRG] Em Con with 630m

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Mon Jan 6 07:39:54 CST 2014

My son and I did some 600m tests a few years ago running about 1 w ERP using PSK31 and a mobile 600m receiver. We found that in very rugged terrain (i.e. steep, narrow valleys and canyons here in the Front Range foothills of Colorado) we got solid copy out to 10 miles from the transmitter site. The receive set up consisted of a ferrite rod loop antenna with preamp driving the 630m receiver and laptop computer. We even copied the PSK31 signals with the loop antenna resting on the dashboard inside the vehicle.

Consider the utility of a one way communication system during an emergency such as a forest fire or other natural disasters: transmissions of low data rate information (localized WX info, road closures, situation status) could be made to field teams that would not be possible with VHF/UHF repeaters and cell sites that were down.

Due to the improved S/N with the WSPR modes, even better coverage should be possible for this application.

-Mike Mussler
WD2XSH/12
AI8Z