[600MRG] Hams and emcomm

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Jan 6 02:29:54 CST 2014

Pat,

That is why hams need to set up a working relationship with
authorities before the fact.  Most successful ham radio contributions
to emergencies were the result of doing that.

My comments came out of a meeting with a representative of the Alaska
State Troopers (State Police) who has been setting up a working
relationship with our club for emcomm support to the Kenai
Peninsula.  We have installed ham stations in the three major town
hospitals for HF & 2m with permanent antennas installed on the roof.

Access to these facilities takes an official ID badge which must be
secured in advance.  This is fairly typical in today's world.  All
will have been vetted in advance and participant list submitted to
authorities, in advance.  We will be participating in "Alaska Shield"
exercise in March to demonstrate our abilities and to discover problem areas.

Personnel do change in organizations over time so ham organization
need to be flexible and keep regular exchange with those dept's.
Often ham must go thru the "education process" all over again with new folks.

Fifteen years as the Comm Dept. Head at my former employer, I
constantly went thru this with member clients.  Over time I pretty
much figured out what they needed to hear, and what not.  These
client organizations made the same mistakes in emergency drills over
and over.  Communications breakdown was number one.  These folks had
to learn new ways of communicating from what they did in the
office.  Part of my job was to help them learn.  Part was to provide
them with the communications infrastructure (which my company
provided).  I interfaced with oil companies, USCG, State DNR and DEC,
police, fire, and gov't entities.

And the big lesson to learn is each event WILL be different, so no
blue print will exactly fit.  But I had so many years doing this that
I had a full litany of approaches which could be tailored to fit a
particular emergency.  I learned my first one on the Exxon Valdez Oil
Spill in 1989.

Alaska Ham have earned respect for their abilities during the 1964
Alaska Earthquake (rated 2nd largest in history).  In recognition for
the contribution of hams during that disaster the AK Legislature
passed an act so that all licensed hams in the state were given free
automobile registration (free plates with call letters) as long as
they maintained a ham radio in the vehicle.  Most of those
legislators are probably gone, now, but the law remains.

So, yes, hams will be under appreciated before the fact and better
appreciated afterward.  Some things never change!

73, Ed - KL7UW