[600MRG] Additional comments to Ed's side note - was Unusual Propagation

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Jan 5 19:50:07 CST 2014

Thanks, John.

What we found in about 3-4 months running CW one-way from my station
with 100w output (ERP=4.15w) my signal was copied by Laurence in
Wasilla roughly 100mi at 35 to 45 dB over noise measured using
spectrum sw.  Most of the time the higher number.  If SNR=0 is taken
as S-0 then 45-dB is S-7.5.

Laurence will have to comment what the noise floor ran and his
receiving antenna+reciever.

Two-way CW with Roger, KL7Q, was very easy.  Roger and Laurence are
only a few miles apart.

So 100w = 50 dBm, if you subtract about 30-dB then 20-dBm = 1w would
have an SNR of 15-dB.

So even a low power transmitter and small portable antenna would work
out to 100mi.  This is commonly the distance emcomm needs in a mass
disaster.  We have a wide-area exercise coming up in March.  It would
be interesting to see if our outlying HF stations could copy my 100w
home station on 495-KHz.

73, Ed - KL7UW