[600MRG] Unusual Propagation

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Jan 5 18:09:19 CST 2014

I received an 6m alert that solar activity is very high with sfu =
210 recently.  sfu = 187 today!  That may be enhancing some layers of
the Ionosphere which could be an explanation.
-----------
I have a wire broken free of the lower end of my inverted-L so unable
to try transmission until repaired.  I've been hesitant to wade thru
2-foot deep snow to reach the base of the antenna in order to effect
a repair (soldering with a torch).  Wind caused fatigue breaks the
wire at the 3/4inch copper tube tie bar at the feedpoint.  Wire is
solid conductor #12 copper.  I may decide to insert a short #12 awg
wire which will handle the wind driven bending better.

But I should hook up the receiver as it probably does not care that
much about SWR (the vertical section has three parallel wires, so two
are intact).  This is a traditional base-loaded inverted-L with
undersized ground plane.

73, Ed - KL7UW & /45
Sidenote: at a recent ham club meeting a ham asked my opinion of
using LF ground wave for emcomm out to about 100-mi.  I suggested
600m would be easier than 2200m in as far as temp antenna and I have
proven 100-mi ground-wave is 100% reliable 24/7 x 365 in 2010 tests
conducted with KL7Q (/28) and WE2XPQ (we enjoy absence of summer
static crashes up here).  Currently, 80/40m SSB is used for emcomm
links between our major communities, but that is too subject to
variable prop.  VHF is blocked by several mountain ranges.  On MW we
would probably look at a text-based digital mode for even better SNR.