[600MRG] Any FCC news on 600m?

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Thu Jan 2 15:23:11 CST 2014

At 11:47 AM 1/2/2014, dave.riley3 wrote:
>HI HI,
>
>Reminds me of old goat ham on 75m every afternoon:
>" CQ CQ NO KIDS NO LIDS NO SPACE CADETS THIS IS W2......  "
>
>No ham in a can beats this guy!!  Wish we could run Hastifisti
>Scratchi commercials...
>
>73s  DE Dave @ /17
>
>Happy New Year too...

Well,  I think some of the technical challenges getting on 600m may
tend to "weed out" a lot of this.  At least it will at the start.

Once there is a fair amount of plug-n-play equipment that one can
merely slap down plastic for, then self-regulation will be more
challenged.  But I "get" the concern being expressed.

My first transmitter* had 11-10m on the band knob, and 11m was still
amateur radio.  I was a Novice so never operated as a ham on 11m and
never was interested in CB as a hobby, since I was already a
ham.  Certainly many have come into ham radio on that path over the
years.  Not to say the vocal ham (above) was one.

But I do see change in operating practises that seem to have come
over from CB.  Often recognizable in jargon used on the air.

*Heathkit DX-35  First licensed in Nov. 1958 as KN8MWA

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: