[600MRG] ARRL's publicity of 630m in QST is working

Joe K I 5 F J jen1joeo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 16:04:24 CST 2014

Folks,
Reference my RX antenna article accepted for publication in QST.

The following is a Jan 2013 quote from
Joel Hallas, W1ZR:
"I was planning on including your article
(along with a transverter and transmit antenna article)
in a special issue announcing the availability of a new US amateur allocation on 600-M."

I guess "STANDBY" applies..

73
Joe O, K I 5 F J
NNNN

On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:35 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell at gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/24/2014 02:11 PM, Pat Hamel wrote:
> We need for someone with practical experience in digital to write an article
> that will alert newcomers to the modes in use on 630, those looking in for
> the first time and not digitally oriented will become "carrier going off and
> on" reporters who never come back.
> Digital was never my forte.
> 73,
> Pat /6

Hi Pat,

My station's 600 (okay 630) meter capability seems diminished since the
winter storms have come through. The sub freezing (often subzero F)
temps and the waste deep snow banks are still here so getting outside to
look at antennas is right out. There won't be anything to report from
here at all until the ears work again. I can hear the NDB 18 miles away
and that's about all.

I have a better understanding of why my station won't work on WSPR. It
will probably never work on WSPR. End of that story and therefore no
WSPR reports coming from here for the next three eternities. MilliHetz!
Bah! Humbug! <evil grin>

QRSS is at least doable. When I get ears again. But..looking at the
images posted in here I often cannot see where they get the text in the
labels from what I see shown on the screen. But I "listen" to CW, not
look at it so I am probably just not visual CW proficient. Maybe with time.

Sometimes other modes are used. I see posts here to that effect and
sometimes timely enough for me to try for something in my log. I have
had some success CW and with some of the digital modes - most notably
PSK-31. Most recently it's been NADA but - see above in paragraph 1.
It's encouraging to see the level of interest ramping up and reports
from QST (ARRL) being posted. When we get a ham allocation I'll get on
with a LC VFO and my Johnson Ranger feeding a sweep tube transmit mixer
to get a signal somewhere near the new band <'nuther evil grin>.

73,

Bill  KU8H