[600MRG] [Lowfer] XJM THOR4 + WSQ2

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 14:19:15 CST 2014

Just now getting around to a report.. I did not try THOR, but I did give WSQ2 a run..
I was using the tree antenna, and was trying to configure it for quietest reception..
Well THAT didn't work... lol , Static crashes from the Winter Storm pushed the
S-meter to 20 over S-9.. At first, I was getting respectable decodes.. A couple of
things that my personal preference would like.. The ability to choose Input / Output
sound cards.. Not windows default.. Secondly, is not being locked to 1000 Hz..
I know this is to stay out of the WSPR band.. Personally, I would like the ability to
use " any " tone frequency for reception, enabling me to use narrower filters to help
reduce noise.. As the evening rolled on, and the snow storm pounded us with the
most snow we have seen in about 20 years; I started hearing the " Howlers " ..
The on ground lead in wire was buried under 5 inches of snow, and it was packing on
the side of the tree where the wire goes up 12 feet and connects to the tree..
Before the howlers; Eric's tones were perfectly clear, and of course audible here..
When the howling started, the tones became extremely distorted, and even though
fully audible, Stopped decoding... only a few random characters now and then..
I turned the rig off at 1 am EDST because reception on 630 meters was virtually
impossible due to the Storm static, snow static, and the howlers.. In general; I
think that I would like WSQ2..

73: Andy - KU4XR