[600MRG] XJM Tests

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 12 22:38:40 CST 2014

Jay is right on!   I have three different HF rigs attached to three
different antennas all within a 350 ft. radius.  One of my odd interests is
"watching" how fast and how deeply the signals change when all rigs are
tuned to the same frequency!   All are software defined radios so the
dramatic changes are easily viewed on the video displays.   Everything is in
a constant state of flux so if you are going to evaluate mode performance
you can't do it with multiple radios and draw any meaningful conclusions.
Don't forget that there is a reason why "dual diversity" works!  And if you
are fortunate enough to be able to watch a couple of hundred kilohertz of
spectrum you see old mother nature literally "wipe" effects across the
screen.  And then as far as "readability" is concerned you have to make sure
your detectors are tied to a common oscillator.......phase effects can be
spectacular as well!  One of these days I intend to build another
upconverter but I don't expect anything to settle down from a move from 160
meters to 630.

73

Lee  K9WRU