[600MRG] WSQ2 initial impressions

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Wed Feb 12 12:38:22 CST 2014

Had a couple of QSOs with WG2XIQ and WG2XKA using WSQ2 last night also.
About 65% copy on XIQ with some static bursts present and generally
staying around the -22 to -27 range.  However, we were hit with a huge
fade / QSB and he was gone on his last transmission.

The QSO with XKA required some intervention.  I had to retune the RX to
get his signal in the "window".  This was only a +20 Hz shift. After
that, decoding was solid as expected.  Considering relative bandwidths,
I suppose this is a reasonable "shift", but something like THOR would
have handled locking on the signal automatically. I've tested THOR up to
about +/- 50-60 Hz mistuning with the same copy as zero-beat.

I also noticed the "short term continuous vertical lines" Jay
mentioned.  It would always happen immediately after switching from TX
to RX, which resulted in lost text when the other station started
transmitting.

I will be transmitting in WSQ2 for a while on 474.2 USB, +1000 Hz.
Running about 6-7W to the antenna.  Hoping this can provide some
"stable", low-SNR signal for some further observations.  Noise / QRN
started to increase on 160/630M last night, so upcoming nights might be
a good stage for QRN resilience testing.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM