[600MRG] /20 transmit antenna - antenna icing

Ralph Hartwell w5jgv at w5jgv.com
Tue Feb 11 17:16:53 CST 2014

> I've learned to have great regard for icing on large wire antennas!

I know what you mean. A few years ago a heavy, wet snowfall dragged my wire
antenna down to the ground. Fortunately, the antenna was only about 15 feet
off the ground for most of the length, and I had installed a very large 24
inch long tension spring at one end. I thought the spring would be ruined
because the antenna had stretched the spring to about 8 feet in length, but
lo and behold, when the ice melted, the spring retracted and the antenna
went right back up in place without any problems. I have great respect for
the engineer who designed that spring!

Tonight we are expecting an ice storm of sorts - it may not be too bad, but
the weather prognosticators are opting on the side of caution and telling us
to be ready for slipping and sliding on the roads, and watch out for downed
power lines and trees. Most everything in the area is already closed down

I plan to keep WD2XSH/7 on the air tonight if possible. Hopefully the
automatics will take care of the detuning, unless it gets too great. And if
the antenna stays in an upright and locked position. This will be the first
icing conditions this antenna will have experienced, so we'll see what the
night brings...

476.300 KHz ± a tad.

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7