[600MRG] WD2XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sun Feb 9 12:01:35 CST 2014

Well we got pounded with our own ice storm the past few days.  We don't see
this kind of stuff very often and the latest was the worst on record.  We
were without power for 20+ hours which was a pain.  WE had enough generator
power to keep the freezers and refrigerators going but nowhere what was
needed to heat the house.  Being in the NW where power is comparatively
cheap (lots of hydro) we have an all electric house.  Not so good when the
power fails however.  The XYL is now agitating for a nice big diesel
generator like the one we had at the last QTH which could run the entire
house indefinitely when the power failed.  I can't whine too much,  I know
you guys back east get this nonsense regularly.

Despite heavy icing none of the antenna wires broke which is a miracle
considering I have 1600' of #14 aluminum wire up in the air.  However, the
ice load was great enough, pulling more or less horizontally at the top of
each pole, that one of the poles tipped a bit.  The ground at the base was
pretty soft and the base of the pole actually moved a little leaving the
pole with a tilt.  I'll have to fix that but it'll be a while.  Need for all
the ice to melt and the weather to warm up.  In any case the antenna is
detuned now so I'll be QRT until I get this fixed.  Still able to listen
however, on the rx array and will be reporting most evenings.

73, Rudy