[600MRG] WG2XKA

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Fri Feb 7 12:46:29 CST 2014

I got four decodes for John last night between 0728 and 0930Z,  from just
before midnight here until about 1:30 AM.  Been snowing here all night, cold
and nasty with a nice thick base of ice.

I've finally tamed the noise monster here, at least a bit.  I put up a two
element vertical array, 28' verticals spaced 200', with the DXengineering
NCC-1 phaser.  It's not perfect but it works much better than the MFJ1026.

Before getting the rx array going I would have the prison bars drifting
across the WSPR display, sometimes wiping out the signals.  No sign of the
bars at all for the past few nights.  I still have broadband noise modulated
with 60 Hz harmonics (up to 720 Hz) coming from the power lines but that's
down to S3 which is much better.  I'm surprised I've improved the broadband
noise since it's coming from the lines all around the property and not very
susceptible to nulling but I'll take what I can get.  The TS590 has a very
nice DSP filter and by moving the lower edge of the bandpass up to 500 Hz I
can suppress that noise pretty well.   I find adjusting the filter bandpass
while watching the waterfall display in ARGO to be really neat!  I'm going
to play more with the DSP filters and see if I can improve your SNR's even
more.  On Sunday night I began with the usual 80' single vertical for rx and
then later in the evening adjusted the phaser and switched to the new array.
There was a immediate 6-8 dB jump in your SNR's!

73 all, Rudy