[600MRG] KU4XR Tree-Tenna Experiment

Andy - KU4XR ku4xr at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 1 19:12:31 CST 2014

Hi all:

Today I started the experimental process of receiving, using a tree as an antenna..
This is the first time I have ever tried this, so it will be interesting to see what comes
of it..I am pretty sure that my initial setup will be changed.. The tree is a 50ish foot
tall Hickory Nut tree, about 60 feet from the mobile home.. I drilled a 4 inch deep hole
about 12 feet AGL into the tree, and used a 3-1/2 inch stainless lag bolt to secure the
wire to the tree.. I wrapped it tightly around the bolt between 2 washers, and then
screwed it into the tree with a socket wrench.. I tightened it until the washers were flat
against the wire, which is stranded copper FWIW.. I know that is dissimilar metals,
but hey, this is an experiment just to see if there is any merit in the tree for an
antenna idea.. Currently there are no transformers.. just a single wire .. I have the wire
between 10 to 12 feet above ground for about 60 feet to a tree right at the end of my
mobile home.. At this point, I wrap the wire around a branch, and drop it to the ground.
This was in hopes of minimizing noise from the QTH... However.. I feel sure that the
60 feet of horizontal wire is picking up signals, and noise... That will be the first thing
That I change the next time I have some time.. Drop the entire wire onto the ground
all the way into the shack window.. The Tree-Tenna initially seems to be deaf below
160 meters.. I hear nothing but the strongest A.M. stations in the BCB.. Scanning
530 KHz and below ( during daylight ) heard only a couple of local NDB's..
I started watching 630 meter WSPR at 4:30 pm local time, and started seeing a
weak trace from XGR/2 at 7 pm with the first decode at 7:10 pm.. Then the ugly truth,
The TV was turned on in the family room at 7:34 pm, and all copy stopped...
nothing but TV lines..
Going to try a few different configurations, just to see what the experiment will show..
Earlier listening, I checked WWVB at 60 KHz and it was about 2 S-units below the
160 dipole, and had a buzzy, and fluttery sound.. Can't explain it, since I have never
tried this before.. I set at 185.3 KHz and the noise level was very low.. I then ran it
thru a variable Inductor and can tune it for about 2 more S-units higher.. That doesn't
mean I'll actually hear anything though.. Thru other experiments I found that just
because I have noise, doesn't mean I have signal...630 meter WSPR as an example,
S meter reading 2-1/2 S-units of noise, but decoding no-one..

73 to all, and thanks for reading this:

Andy - KU4XR