[600MRG] Polarization tests at W5EST

James Hollander mrsocion at aol.com
Mon Dec 22 11:38:26 CST 2014

Thanks for several reply-e-mails with encouragement.  Since I'm receive-only, not Part 5, probably the nearby XSH/15 is the relevant TX corresponding to my receive setup.
>>Now you need someone to do the same for you on TX.  N0UU
Around North America and in UK/EU, the WSPR map shows numerous Part 5 stations that have good TX and good RX and also several pairs of stations where a Part 5 station and a receive-only station are situated very close to one another.

BTW, if two stations had antenna systems that are mirror-images of each other, I'd expect Faraday rotation to rotate in about the same compass direction for each arriving transmission into each receiving station. (Hope I understand it right--at least for roughly North/South paths along geomagnetic field lines. Might not work the same way East/ West)

Polarization reception improvements here could include:
  --Noise cancellation in each common/differential mode path to allow nulls and polarization variation reception for much farther-away 630m stations.
  --Working out a circuit that would conveniently determine the polarity/direction of polarization variation, not just the magnitude of SNR.
  --Measuring 630m elliptical polarization as well as simple tilt (variation) away from the polarization reference.
  --Antenna and circuits to help measure the compass direction of tilt away from vertical polarization.
  --Formulas and circuits/software to reliably go from measurements of common/differential mode currents to estimates of the actual polarization orientation of the arriving signal wave.

630m replies to 160m high bar
630m TAs 12/22/14: WG2XJM into G8HUH.  WG2XJM, WG2XKA, WE3XGR into EI0CF.

160m: No TA/TP.