[600MRG] Loading coils....

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Fri Dec 19 02:54:53 CST 2014

Ken,

I am no way an expert on HF antennas, but there are many ways to load
a short antenna.  Your base coil is adding inductance in series with
the coax line which is grounding the base end of the coil at the
tuner if it is not grounded before reaching the tuner.  Hopefully you
are using a good ground on the tuner.  Your tuner probably is adding
inductance as well.  The coax line is part of the antenna since it is
not grounded at the coil.  You mention a 40m trap which I assume is
transparent below 7-MHz.

I feed an inverted-L which is basically a 43-foot high vertical with
a long top hat (two 122-foot wires separated 2-foot but connected at
both ends electrically).  That make it possible to run with a smaller
base loading coil.  My coil is grounded on the far end and I tap off
the coil about 2-1/2 turns above the ground end and connect coax.  I
use no tuner as the coil is tuned for resonance and the tap for 50-ohms.

Be interesting to hear others comments.

73, Ed - KL7UW