[600MRG] band condx - sat morning

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 05:06:09 CDT 2014

Had a nice  CW ragchew with XJM on the Hartley vintage rig - sigs peaking 599 on the loop but not a peep on the vertical with quiet local condx.  XXM was the opposite, loud on the vertical, weak on the loop.. He's only 200 miles away so that is interesting.  The Hartley sounds great.  very characteristic mellow tone but a little more drift tonight than previous sessions.

Noise is uncharacteristically low here during the overnight portion of this session but there have been periodic bursts through the night accompanied by deep QSB that recovers very quickly.. The QSB period does not seem consistent.  Peak is definitely favored for what thats worth.

Path to the PNW seemed good early, per the data (sorry I missed you on your earlier CQ Larry XGP) but was kinda dry during the middle frame only to peak up again now as I approach SR.  Someone send up the Bat signal for Larry!

David, VK2DDI, has been reporting some JT65 signals with very poor freq stability drifting into the WSPR window.  Right now its unclear to me whether its malicious or accident but with the lack of stability I have seen in David's screen shots, I can't imagine someone making a Q.

I've setup to run some QRSS tests but want to test the process during the day rather than waste valuable darkness.  A few operational changes here should give me a little more flexibility with some of the software packages, like the ZL1EE/ZL1BPU packages that have been problematic here in the past due to lack of CAT rig control.

condx seem great today down south..I'm guessing Laurence XPQ is sleeping in his faraday cage again tonight.

73/GM,

John XIQ