[600MRG] XJM says "File this one under 'why NOT to shut down over the summer on 630m!'"

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 25 09:17:26 CDT 2014

Last night was a very good night.  Unfortunately I missed out on it in real time because I slept the whole night after being under the weather yesterday.

Apparently signals were not so good going NW from my location, as reported by Larry WH2XGP.  I also had no trips up to XPQ Laurence in KL7 as in the previous session.  But the bell ringer is this one:

I was running 20% so it was dumb luck that I squeezed through the crack.  I will crank back up higher (maybe the nominal 50%) before bedtime to see what tonight brings.  I am hopeful but realistic enough to not hold my breath.

Nick, VK2DX indicates Aug 20 - Sept 10 is the window where many of the VK -> W6 TP action has occured.  Larry, XGP, indicated that this was the "near grey line" path that exists on 160m.

So long story short, if you are not QRV, you really should be.  It helps that I recently modified my grant for 10w ERP but I'm currently only running about 4w and tweeking the match a bit more on the new antenna should get me to 5 or a little better.

Also notable, Eric and I had another a nice CW QSO on saturday night.  lots of intrigue on this one as eric had parts spread everywhere working on a late night project and as usual I was half-asleep.  band is really starting to pick up.  No telling what the Fall and Winter is going to bring.

73 and thanks to all for the great reports!

John XIQ