[600MRG] RX at XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Sat Aug 16 13:54:50 CDT 2014

Hello all,
WSPR reception was pretty good last night.  I've been seeing WH2XGP 24/7 for
the past several days despite severe TS noise in the evenings.  Even at
mid-day his S/N has been -14 dB or so.  Close to CW QSO level!  Last night I
decoded XXM from about 0400Z until 1130Z which I suspect is close to his
sunrise.  He peaked at S/N of -21 dB around 1000Z.  XIQ started to decode at
about 0700Z and lasted until about 1130Z like XXM.  XIQ also peaked at about
1000Z at -24 dB.  This summer has shown some really interesting
possibilities despite the relatively high solar activity and  short nights.
I'm sure this winter will be fun.

Our series of thunder storms seem to have passed so I'll probably be back on
WSPR tonight.  I've been comparing three rx antennas:  a 30' vertical probe
with an amplifier, a terminated loop and a BOG.  The BOG is far and away the
more effective for killing my local noise.  The Loop is ok but the vertical
is a waste of time but keep in mind my problem is severe power line noise
from sources in the near-field of my antennas.  So you need to be a bit
careful about drawing conclusions from my experience.  My neighbors have be
very nice and I will be able to extend my BOG another 450' across their
pastures.  Right now the BOG is only 450' or so. While a BOG that short
seems to be very good at rejecting the local noise, it's far-field pattern
is nothing special.  Doubling the length should help.

73, Rudy