[600MRG] My Tree-Tenna Experiment - 8-13-2014

KU4XR ku4xrradio at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 17:25:49 CDT 2014

Greetings all:

I don't know which of my emails will post to the list, or if either
one will. So, if this makes it thru,
I'll be happy, and if it happens to come thru on both my email
accounts; please forgive the repeat..

Here are the latest empirical observations with my experiment with the
Tree-Tenna..
Today (8-13-2014), I cut the " wire " that comes into the shack, at
the bottom of the tree trunk to see
what effect it would have on received signal levels.. I have been
using one of the A.M. stations
I work at as a steady signal reference. The Tower is 40 air miles from
me, and The power is 1 KW..

The tree is a 70 foot Hickory Nut with full foliage.. I have about 80
feet, +/- of " wire " coming from
the  tree into the shack.. I ratchet'ed in a 3-1/2 inch lag bolt into
the tree, 12 feet above ground,
and connected the " wire " to the lag bolt..

First signal measurements were with the " wire " suspended about 8'
AGL to permit mowing..
The received signal on the TS450S in A.M. mode - 6 KHz IF BW, showed a
level of S-9 +5 over..
the atmospheric noise was quite noticable..

Second signal measurement was done a few weeks later.. With the
extremely high storm static,
I placed the " wire " directly on the ground.. This made a
considerable improvement in dealing with
the static.. The received signal level from the radio station dropped
to a level of S-7-1/2 ..
Reception of the 630 meter WSPR stations improved .. With less
atmospheric interference; I started
to audibly hear interference from various devices in the house..

Third signal measurement done today, 8-13-2014, I cut the " wire " at
the base of the tree.
The received signal level from the radio station dropped to a level of
S-4-1/2.. I left the " wire "
laying on the ground in the same location.. With approximately 70 feet
of " wire " on ground, and
un-terminated, the S meter is peaking up to S-1 with the typical
daytime static level here..
I made no changes to my matching after cutting the " wire " so as to
see if the tree was actually
having any effect on received signal levels.. For the sake of " Saying
I Did "; I plan to leave the
" wire " disconnected from the tree for a few days, and monitor the
630 meter WSPR stations to
see the results..

Summarization:

" wire " suspended 8' AGL and terminated to the tree; the radio
station signal : S-9 +5 over

" wire " placed on the ground, and terminated to the tree; the radio
station signal : S-7-1/2

" wire " cut at base of the tree, laying on the ground, Un-Terminated;
the radio signal : S-4-1/2

Thanks for reading, and have a great day:

Andy - KU4XR