[600MRG] An interesting receiver....

Sandy Blaize ebjr37 at charter.net
Sat Aug 9 22:06:23 CDT 2014

Mike, David, et al.....

Back then when we were working and before GPS, the "Transit" satellite
was best thing yet although there weren't enough passes and whatever
kept the "inertial navigation going" after satellite pass had to give an
accurate track.  Loran "C" was really good considering, but a lot of
ships didn't get and good navigators for Loran "C" because of the
"flowers" being given to "Omega".  As far as a navigator that you could
turn on and ask it: "Where the F**k am I?", Omega was a terrible flop.
A passing batch of thunderstorms would disturb it's lane count and
render it's way points invalid! In my humble opinion, a horrible thing
to happen with a "real" navigator!  I think I spent more time studying
the "American Practical Navigator" than I did studying to pass my 2nd
Class Radiotelegraph license exam!  Owned 3 sextants, one of which was a
really neat aircraft bubble sextant which worked very well.  All
rendered obsolete and archaic by a simple looking little Garmin device
that only cost $100 bucks!!!  The mates have it much easier now!

73 to all,

Sandy Blaize W5TVW
ex-Marconi Marine, Mackay Radio long time shipboard electronics tech
from CW stuff to Inmarsat Terminals!