[600MRG] the WH2XHY CW beacon on 475.0 kHz

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 12:20:11 CDT 2014

I'm letting the WH2XHY CW beacon on 475.0 run 24/7 as much as possible, but I do shut it down when I want to listen on MF, or to operate HF.

I thought the noisy power supply was the cause of the interference to my other operations, but it wasn't the whole story - there are also some spurious wideband humps of noise coming out of the JRC transmitter when it is unkeyed.  I don't think they pose any threat to anyone else, but they do cause trouble to me when I want to run HF because my antennas are all so close together and thus they are pretty strong in my other receivers.  I sure wish I had some documentation on the JRC NSC-17M to aid troubleshooting and modification.

Photo of the rig, and a sketch of the antenna, at http://www.wd8das.net/630m.html

Results so far:  I've got 8 groundwave reports from around Wisconsin and adjacent states. At morning and evening grayline it has been heard in Texas.  At night I've been heard as far as Pennsylvania and we also had a two-way QSO.

Steve WD8DAS / WH2XHY

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.