[600MRG] Some surprise discoveries.....at XSV

Neil Klagge w0yse.7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 20:38:36 CDT 2014

I discovered a few surprising things this weekend :

1. I discovered that I can now use my TenTec QRP transceiver to monitor my
630 meter signal by setting a 10 MHz TCXO next to it and tuning the xcvr to
10.474200 MHz. Apparently the signal is being mixed in the front end of the
xcvr.

2. Then, when I removed the battery from the TCXO circuit, I discovered
that the carrier of WWV on 10 MHz was still doing the job for me. Totally
unexpected to say the least!

3. Next, I decided to try transmitting a PSK31 signal from my main 630m
transverter thru my *Class D* (i.e. non-linear) amplifier. I was able to
decode my PSK signal on the TenTec (with the TCXO right next to it). To my
surprise it even appeared to look pretty clean.

4. Then I enlisted the help of Mark, ku7z, who lives about 11 miles from
me, to check my PSK signal for spurs or distortion. He reported a clean
signal with no spurs.

I did notice that my RF ammeter at the output of the Class D amplifier was
showing that the average was current below the peak current, so I suppose
it was running as a linear amplifier at that time.

Who’da guessed !!

There is fun and excitement with every experiment on MF/LF.

73, Neil Klagge, wg2xsv

*"I use the original form of social networking: Amateur Radio." *
 *(my ham radio sites are at 'w0yse.webs.com <http://w0yse.webs.com>'  and
'wg2xsv.webs.com <http://wg2xsv.webs.com>' )*