[600MRG] Antenna re-worked at XSV

Neil Klagge w0yse.7 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:59:04 CDT 2014

My "inverted L" (sort-of-like) antenna used to have a 60' top wire that
drooped down from the 34' level on the vertical section to about a 20'
height at the far end. In addition to that, I had turned the upper part of
my 3 guy ropes into 15' top loading wires as well.

The xyl did not like that 60' wire draped across the back yard, so I went
back to my "LaPort" spreadsheet and did some recalculations and discovered
that I could replace that eyesore 60' wire by simply increasing the top

By raising the top loading "guy" wires from the 34' level, to the 39'
level, I was able to even slightly INCREASE my radiation resistance,
compared to what it was before.

It is interesting to see how important it is to get as much vertical
section as possible. For my situation, 5 vertical feet *more than* replaced
60 horizontal feet. That's a 12 to 1 advantage to each vertical foot.

And.....A happy wife means that I get more time on the radio....hi

;-)

73 Neil, wg2xsv

*"I use the original form of social networking: Amateur Radio." *
 *(my ham radio sites are at 'w0yse.webs.com <http://w0yse.webs.com>'  and
'wg2xsv.webs.com <http://wg2xsv.webs.com>' )*