[600MRG] Preliminary Earth Loop Results

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Thu Sep 26 10:02:51 CDT 2013

At 03:53 AM 9/26/2013, John Molnar wrote:
>All,
>Several days ago I experienced a wind gust that knocked my tripod mounted
>10' diameter shielded magnetic loop to the ground, it landed flat still
>pointed NE -SW.
>Interestingly enough, I still had multiple WSPR spots from John WG2XIQ all
>night. (2395 KM path).  Originally the bottom (preamp end) of the loop is
>about 6' above ground level.  The grass was soaked from the storm.
>
>Obviously curious, I duplicated the "experiment".
>I constructed an identical 10' loop (RG-6) and built an identical
>preamplifier and bias Tee.  This was setup on the grass, about 30' from the
>vertical loop.  I used two identical laptops running WSPR 2.0.  Identical
>receivers,
>FT-857 and FT-897 (same guts) were used. AGC off.  There is no common
>component shared by the two receive systems.  They are totally independent.
>
>The test commenced last evening.  XIQ was the only WSPR station
>transmitting in the USA, I stayed RX only.  The vertical loop reported as
>WG2XKA, the grass mounted earty loop reported as WA3ETD.
>
>As XIQ reported, the earth loop drew "first blood".  Over the course of the
>evening both loops reported, the best spot of XIQ was -22, reported by both
>loop stations.  In several cases, the earth loop indicated a better spot by
>several dB.  The ground here is currently wet and the night dew was very
>heavy.  Very weak (-29, -30) were also reported by both loops.
>
>I have yet to quantify all the data, but results are encouraging and the
>tests will continue.
>
>For anyone interested, the data can be recovered on WSPRNET, entering the
>appropriate "reporter" calls listed above.
>
>John WG2XKA / WA3ETD

John,

I am wondering if this is not just indicating the antennas are
looking more like elemental isotropic radiators vs
loops?  Considering the size in wavelengths they may look like a
"period" on a page "."

Therefore the difference between 6-foot and 0-foot over ground is
6/1968 vs 0  (one lambda = 1968 feet).

Also wonder about the propagation mechanism?  KL7AJ has published
good stuff about how all ionospheric refracted RF is split into two
opposite circular polarized waves.  Your two antenna may be able to
pick up both waves in kind of a diversity receiver fashion.

This is good stuff!  I have wanted to build a rotating loop to
compare with my inverted-L, but too many other projects in the mill.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubususa at gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"