[600MRG] Noise cancelers

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Mon Sep 23 12:06:18 CDT 2013

A couple of years ago I ran some tests on the MFJ-1026 and the ANC-4 noise
cancellers.  The tests were done on the bench using a VNA to accurately
measure the nulling capabilities.  For frequencies of 1.5 MHz and up both
worked pretty good but when I went down to 475 kHz the MFJ performed poorly
but the ANC was still good.  I looking inside both boxes and it appeared to
me the problem with the MFJ was the transformers were not designed for the
low frequency.  The cores were pretty small with not all that many turns.

George, W2VJN, is going to lend me his ANC-4 again so I can see if it will
help in my situation.  I'll report back.

73, Rudy N6LF