[600MRG] My local noise - more info...

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Sep 22 14:28:43 CDT 2013

At 08:58 AM 9/22/2013, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
>On 22 Sep 2013 at 5:19, Neil Klagge wrote:
>
> > Ken ,  I think u wud benefit from a noise canceling circuit that has a
> > sensing antenna and uses a phasing circuit to cancel local noise. I
> > found one at a swap meet that works even below 500 Kc. U might have to
> > build one from a schematic. It works good on local noise.
> >
> > Neil Klagge
>
>I've thought about those things a lot, Neil. In fact, I have a
>circuit board from
>FAR circuits for one that was published in QST a long time ago. I've also
>looked at the offering by Time Wave, which to my mind is about the best one
>out there, but its cost is pretty high for me....even so I might
>spring for it
>anyway.
>
>I have seen tests of others, like MFJ's, on youtube. Some work very well,
>others don't.
>
>Well, I do know that I can probably do something about the noise. What I
>would really like to do is to move to a place with at least 10 acres
>on top of a
>5000 foot mountain within walking distance of town and its amenities.
>
>Sure...
>
>Ken W7EKB

Ken,

I thought about your requirements and probably could find two out of
three near Denver (5000-foot+), but the mountain top is
higher!  Although  10-acres within walking distance is probably close
to $10M.  Of course if you can walk 30-miles it might not be that high?

My old "perfect" living place was 30-mi from a small college town.

In fact that is where I live and the college is only 20-mi away (Jr.
college) and the two twin towns of 7,500 pop are 12-mi and 22-mi away
(Nikiski hardly qualifies as a town).  They are Kenai and Soldotna
(Alaska).  The regional hospital is 22-mi away and nearest fire
station/ambulance is 5-mi.  Good assortment of stores so not
necessary to drive long distance to the "big town".

Yet we live on the edge of unimproved land of an old homestead, so
the moose, raven and eagles make regular appearance.  !-3/4 acres in
an 18-year old modern house with all the modern conveniences.  No
zoning or covenants so I can do whatever I chose.  Buried utility was
a plus.  Seniors do not pay property tax and the state is about to
send both of us our annual checks ($900/each this year).  No income
tax or state sales tax.  Oh and no standing in lines and no traffic;
of course I am retired so no commute.

Only 125-feet ASL and trees are 50-foot tall.  But we live on a lake
so that makes up for not on a mountain, sort of.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubususa at gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"