[600MRG] [ARC5] MF and the BC-453

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Sep 11 11:26:01 CDT 2013

On 11 Sep 2013 at 8:10, Mark K3MSB wrote:

> "I have all three IF transformer rods pulled up to their loosest
> coupling. The "other side of zero-beat" isn't even there."
>
> What does that mean Ken?

The BC-453 (and the R-23/ARC-5) have a two-stage variable-coupling
feature in each IF can. These receivers are the only models of the
SCR-274N or AN/ARC-5 receivers which have this feature.

The top coil in each IF can is able to be moved between two "notches" by
pulling up on or pushing down on a fibre rod which protrudes from the top of
each IF can.

The bottom "notch" puts the top coil closer to the bottom coil, while the top
"notch" allows the top coil to be moved at least 1/4" further away from the
bottom coil, decoupling them and making the IF passband considerably
narrower. Gain is NOT reduced, BTW.

Each IF can has a fibre rod under the little "cover" that is screwed to the top
of each can. Removing that cover will reveal the rod.

One must be more than a little careful how one tries to move those rods, as
the coils inside the cans are covered in bees wax, which in many (most?)
cases has hardened to make the coils difficult to move. I have broken the
rods off while trying to move them.

Heating the can carefully will often soften the beeswax enough to allow the
rods to move the coils.

However, if the rods are damaged, it is very easy to remove each IF can:
they are held to the chassis by a 3-48 binder-head screw at diagonally
opposite corners, and plug into a special chassis-mounted "plug" at their
bottom. Also, they are color coded with a colored dot on the top of each can
at a corner so if you are awake, it is impossible to get them in the wrong
order.

Then 4 other smaller screws hold the cover on each can. These are also
easily removed, and one can then move the top coil to its top "notch" by
hand.

It is always much easier to work on the IF cans by first removing the
receiver's outer "case". You must loosen but not remove the screws around
the front edges, then remove the 8 screws near the rear, 4 on each side.
Then the cover lifts up at the rear, and slides off. Originally all the screws
were "color coded" in that those to be removed were bright, while those to be
either loosened or left alone were anodized black.

As I indicated above, moving that coil very noticeably reduces the width of
the IF passband, making the selectivity of the whole receiver actually too
narrow for good SSB or AM reception, but almost perfect for the narrower
modes.

The Army service manual for those receivers tells the tech to pull all the rods
up to their most selective position when aligning the receiver's IFs (85 KHz,
BTW), then pushing the end two IF can's rods back down for normal use,
leaving the center IF can at the selective position. Doing this flattens out the
double-hump in the IF passband.

For OUR uses, having all three rods at their most selective position is better.

Does this answer your question OK?

BTW, after WWII, AirCraft Radio Corp experimented with moving the IF can
coils in their receivers for other bands. For instance, they easily achieved 3
KHz selectivity with the 40 meter (6 - 9.1 MHz) receiver with its 2830 KHz IFs
by adjusting the IF coil spacing to the critical distance. That receiver is
notorious for having a very wide IF passband, making it almost useless for
ham use. In stock condition, one can hear every signal in the entire 40 meter
band at once. As I remember it, it is at least 30 KHz wide at the 3 db points.

I have moved the coils in the 80 meter (3 - 6 Mhz) receiver with its 1415 Khz
IF. It is fairly easily done, and makes the receiver's selectivity very noticably
better. I install a small nylon spacer between each coil after removing the
original ceramic one.

Ken W7EKB and /24