[600MRG] WSPRX resync question

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Tue Sep 3 08:58:12 CDT 2013

On 03-Sep-13 6:38 AM, Pat Hamel wrote:
> The past week or so I have had a good trace on the waterfall but no decodes.
>   I resync the computer to time.windows.com every night after I turn off my
> QRSS3 beacon to let WSPRX run all night unless storms are predicted.
>   Last night in an hour I finally got only one capture, and it said the DT
> (time delta) was 2.3 seconds.
> For some reason time.nist.com is not available here, is time.windows.com
> actually off by 2.3 seconds ?
> Thank you,
> Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6

Pat,

Look here for Stratum 1 servers and status:

http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

Look here for "pool" servers which you would probably have better luck with:

http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html

BTW, computer clocks can be very very bad. The one in the desktop I am
writting this on will drift 2 seconds every 15 minutes! The one out in
the shop is not much better.
I strongly suggest that you use time sync software that will
automatically check and sync often. Thats assuming you are actually
connected to the internet. If not than look into a GPS system.

I recommend "Dimension 4" (simplest) : http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

or better yet Mienberg NTPD (complex):
http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

In any case, you have little or no hope of reliably copying WSJT/WSPR
signals unless you periodically sync your clock through the night.

73, Larry - W7IUV