[600MRG] WD2XSH/20 receiving

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Tue Oct 29 13:02:32 CDT 2013

Late yesterday I finished my new narrowband filter for 475 kHz.  Works
great, knocks the very strong BC signals right down into the noise.  But of
course it does nothing for  noise in the passband except to help me to hear
what that is.  In a few days I'll post a description on my web page.

The noise in the passband (with the rx bandwidth set to USB for WSPR) is
still about S9.  Much better than S9+50dB but still a serious problem.  Of
course there's lots of general hash but that's actually in the background.
The primary problem right now is a line of multiple RFI like signals spread
across the band and on both sides.  These signals sound like something you'd
get from a TV set, a computer or some such electronic gear.  At this moment
I have no clue to the sources but the next order of business is to find out.
Because they are discrete signals there is a chance they have a particular
direction.  If so then they can be addressed with phasing schemes.  I'll
modify my MFJ-1026 for MF and see if that's of any help. If it is then I'll
make up a DF antenna and see what I can discover.

While I wrestle with this problem I'll continue to run my CW beacon in the
evening and start to transmit WSPR.  Sorry I can't give out reception
reports but you'd have to have one h... of signal for me to hear it!  One
step at a time.

73, Rudy