[600MRG] For discussion: Re: Top loading a vertical on LF/MF

Ralph Hartwell w5jgv at w5jgv.com
Wed Nov 27 22:18:58 CST 2013

> The question I find myself asking is this: "Is what I will gain in ERP
worth the
> effort it takes to add sloping top wires because of the cancellation that
will
> occur." I wonder if 1 or 2 dB gain is worth it at the receiving end.

Any wires, sloped or not, will help. With only one wire, the radiation
pattern will be somewhat directional. You should use at least two if you
can.

My antenna uses 4 sloped loading wires and works well. I ran lots and lots
of numbers through EZNEC before I built anything. I also spent more money on
the ground system then I did on the antenna itself. The better the ground
system, the bigger effect you will see from and improvements you make to the
parts up in the air - especially loading wires.

The system would be even better with horizontal loading wires, but that was
not physically possible given the financial boundaries I had to work with,
so I settled for sloped wires. In the end, the only real difference is the
amount of RF power I have to throw at the antenna to make the allowable
field strength..

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7