[600MRG] Last night at WD2XSH/20

Rudy Severns n6lf at arrl.net
Mon Nov 11 11:50:52 CST 2013

Last night was very interesting here.  First I checked my favorite solar
condx site, www.solen.info/solar/ , and found that we were having a CME
(coronal mass ejection) event and also a class X flare, so I figured the
propagation would be interesting.  It was!

My local noise source had drifted well above the band so I could actually
hear something!  I turned on ARGO and set it up so I could see
(simultaneously)  Eric's CW beacon (XJM)  on 474.5 kHz, Mike's CW beacon
(XSH/12), Pat (XSH/6) running QRSS3 at 475.322 kHz and Neil (XSV) running
QRSS2 a 150 Hz or so above Pat.  The QSB was very deep on a cycle of
minutes.  Signals varied from zilch to quite readable on the screen although
the CW beacons were not readable by ear.

But what was most interesting was that the QSB cycle was very different for
each signal!  I could see the effect of atmospheric turbulence right on the
screen.  It was a very interesting dance as the stations faded in and out,
each on a different time scale.

73, Rudy